Re: [idvdevelopers] New test release of Image Chooser and PR

On Feb 27, 2014, at 9:53 AM, Don Murray (NOAA Affiliate) wrote:

If I created a PR display, can I convert it to a fixed display that does NOT
reread?

Yes.  Go to the View->Use Progressive Disclosure menu of the display control
and uncheck it.

OK, I see - the View menu of the display control window. Yes that seems to work.
Very convenient, I can imagine creating all my new displays with rubber
banding, and then doing this unchecking of the ones I want to remain fixed.

But currently this fixing doesn't work across saving and reloading of a bundle.
The saved displays seem to have their UsePD status (yes/no) remembered
correctly, but not their region.
When I save and open a bundle, all the displays automatically open to cover the
initial view.
Even those whose display control View menus have Use PD checked off.

Also, zooming or panning while the bundle is loading seems to make the
view-matching displays come up with different coverages according to the moment
they are created. Is that inevitable? Maybe we should always be patient and
never touch the IDV while it is loading, but try telling that to students in a
classroom with limited internet speed. Even displays that were created with
UsePD unchecked in the main view window's Projections menu at their creation
moment do this display matching upon save-open. This could be dangerous if the
bundle is saved with a very zoomed-out view?  -- oh except the stride
parameters are adjusted too (AutoStride), so it is OK.

So there seems to be no way to create displays that reliably cover fixed
regions any more!?
Oh - I found a way. I have to use the old-style region selector in the field
selector. But even THAT fails if the UsePD checkbox happens to be checked on
under the Projections menu at the creation moment.

the UsePD tickbox, AND ALSO not use the convenience of Match Display Region
even though it is avaiolable with the tickbox unchecked. Every other case
yields displays that all match the view when the bundle is opened.

I hope this is a bug of .xidv saving and/or reloading, not the way things will
always be.

Brian