Re: [netcdfgroup] what is status of netCDF3 vs netCDF4?

Thanks all for the input re: bundling the different interfaces; it’s clear
this is more convenient. I would argue that the benefit is not strictly to
us developers at the expense of the poor users (as somebody put it :) );
the split makes it much easier to provide support for individual
interfaces, as well as faster bug fixes as previously mentioned.

There are significant technical hurdles to recombining the interfaces into
a single project, as it was for versions 4.1.3 and prior. There may be
avenues for making distribution more transparent and easier to keep track
of from the end user point-of-view, however. I may start a new thread once
I’ve explored a couple of ideas.

Regarding the question below about binary distributions for OSX and
Windows. We provide Windows binaries because, frankly, building with Visual
Studio can be a bit of a mess, and providing the libraries packaged with
dependencies seemed like the easiest way to head off a lot of problems.
These can be downloaded here:

   - http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/winbin.html

I wasn’t under the impression that there was much need for OSX binary
distributions, since OSX is essentially BSD and works with autotools and/or
CMake. I know that the popular package managers homebrew and macports have
netcdf packages (which we do not maintain), and had always thought these
must be sufficient, as nobody has said otherwise. I’d be really interested
to know if these were insufficient!

Thanks all,

-Ward