Re: 20000307: Ingest Product Times (fwd)

Collin Daly wrote:

> Hi Anne,
>
> I decided to run notifyme on two machines; the first machine was the LDM,
> lightning.alden.com, and the second was our NOAAPort machine,
> nport.alden.com.  After reviewing the logfiles I generated from the notifyme
> commands on each machine I found that it appears lightning.alden.com puts
> the timestamp (from field 4) on the products injected into the IDD (is this
> the time our downstream nodes use as a reference to compare how quickly data
> is disseminated?)
> The NOAAPort machine on the other hand has a different timestamp, sometimes
> this is off by 3 seconds, in comparison to the lightning.alden.com machine
> which is never off.  Do you know who or where the timestamp is put on for
> the NOAAPort feed?
>
> Thank you,
> Collin

Hi Collin,

We also ran notifyme on your two machines, lightning.alden.com and
nport.alden.com, to see what they are receiving.  It looks like lightning is
your FOS feed, and nport is your NOAAPort feed.   I assume each one is running
pqing, thus each one will be adding an 'injection' timestamp to each product
before the product is inserted into the queue.

There are several differences between the two machines, so that comparing the
two may not be the most valid comparison.  The hardware and operating systems
may be different.  The feeds are definately different, FOS being significantly
lower volume than NOAAPort.  NOAAPort also has some peak times when model
output is released, unlike FOS which is more steady.

Field 4 can indeed be used to determine how quickly data is disseminated.
Field 1 is the current system time.  If you take the difference between the
first and fourth fields, you can see how long it took the product to arrive at
the host.

Anne

address@hidden                  P.O. Box 3000
                                  Boulder, CO  80307