20000607: Deleting oldest in queue message

>From: Thomas Don Aratari <address@hidden>

>Hello
>
>I was wondering if this error could be fixed :
>
>I have scripts that check my logs files for LDM and if the instance
>Jun 07 16:47:59 yin.engin.umich.edu thelma[23092]: "Deleting oldest to
>make space 18040 bytes" shows up, it will re-start the LDM (I was told
>that this meant a corrupt queue)
>
>Is there any way to fix this on my end by making a bigger/smaller queue
>size?
>
>Thanks
>Tom

>Thomas Aratari                 address@hidden
>UofM ITD Contract Services     System/Desktop Administration
>Pager: 670-3861                        E-Page: address@hidden
>AOSS Building -
>       LDM/Systems Admin       (734) ???-????
>SOE Building -
>       Desktop Support         (734) 764-9903

Thomas,

The "Deleting oldest" message does not refer to a corrupted queue.
That usually shows up as an "assertion failed" message.

The message does mean that your queue is too small to hold at least 1
hours worth of data. Your queue size should be set large enough so
that pqexpire is able to maintain an hours worth of data without the
message appearing since it is much more costly to do it as every data product
arrives.

You should configure your queue size in the bin/ldmadmin script (pq_size
variable),
and remake your queue. You will want to personallize the ldmadmin script
whenever you install a new version of the LDM (including the HOSTNAME
variable which should be set in there).

The default queue size is set as 200MB in ldmadmin in the distribution, but
this will vary from site to site depending on what extra data sets you
receive.

Steve Chiswell