Re: Success!

Matthew Maschmann wrote:

> Anne,
>
> Honestly, I do not know what made LDM work on one machine and not the
> other.  The machine that did not work was an SGI O2 running IRIX 6.5.  We
> switched to an SGI INDIGO running IRIX 6.2.  The INDIGO was installed with
> the source code.  We are continuing to work on the O2, and if we find out
> what failed, I will be sure to let you know.  I would venture to say that
> it was not a problem with LDM; rather, it was a problem with our SGI.
>
> One thing that did make a difference in our notifyme command was using the
> -o flag.  Without utilizing this option, it looks as though notifyme is
> receiving no data.
>
> Another detail is that we switched our upstream server to UCLA.  They had
> problems with our machine's alias and entered our IP instead.  The site
> manager from UCLA notified me that this was a problem, whereas DRI never
> did.  Our problems with the DRI install could be related to our address
> specification.
>
> Thank you for all help, past and continuing!
> Matt

Thank you for the info, Matt.  Yet another computing mystery.

The -o option simply tells notifyme to go back in time, i.e., look at what's
already in the queue.  You should be able to use it without the -o to see the
data arriving currently.

Regarding the machine name, how a site handles name resolution depends on how
they have their domain name server configured.   I would think that if DRI
had a problem with your machine name you would have heard, but who knows.
Because I was suspecting that your machine might not be registered with the
appropriate name server,  I tried an nslookup on what I think is your machine
name:

  (anne) imogene:/upc/share/classes 398 % nslookup vortex.ncacm.nevada.edu
  Server:  laraine.unidata.ucar.edu
  Address:  128.117.140.62

  Name:    vortex.ncacm.nevada.edu
  Address:  131.216.72.40

So, assuming I have the correct machine name, that all looks ok.   It would
be interesting to know if you could be fed from DRI now with your latest
installation.

Anyhow, I'm  glad things are working for you now.

I did ask someone about your mm5 question, and got an ambiguous answer.  If
you don't get satisfactory responses from your posting to ldm-users, let me
know and I will inquire further.  (Many of our community were here last week
attending our workshop.  Perhaps you will get a few more responses once these
people return home.)

Anne

address@hidden                  P.O. Box 3000
                                  Boulder, CO  80307