20000718: beep when certain products arrive

>I thought I had read how to do this somewhere, but I can't find
>it.  I would like to produce a keyboard beep when warnings
>or watches come in, and then file the product.  How do I set
>this up in pqact.conf?
>
>Thanks,
>Robert Mullenax

Robert,

I believe you will need a tty running to issue the cntl-G to for the
BEL (ASCII 007) character to sound.

Here is an example that pops up an xterm tty that displays the product and
beeps:

#!/bin/csh -f
# opens window and displays product....holds open until ^C is given

setenv DISPLAY displayhost:0

cat >! /tmp/test.$$
set BEL=^G
echo $BEL >> /tmp/test.$$
/usr/openwin/bin/xterm -title warning -fg white -bg red1 -exec tail +1f
/tmp/warn.$$

rm /tmp/warn.$$

In the above, ^G should be replaced with the actual control G character-
but it has been replaced for sending through the mail.

Then, in pqact.conf:
DDPLUS  ^(WW|WF)US.* (KDEN|KBOU)
        PIPE    -close  util/warn_popup.csh

Otherwise, you could EXEC a program that plays through your sound card (such as
a wav player).

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support