Re: ldm5.1.2beta on iita

Celia Chen wrote:

> Anne,
>
> I have just re-installed ldm-5.1.2 on iita from the source code
> and looks like it is running now.  The only error message I got
> from make-install is the following:
>
> -----------
> /bin/sh: /usr/sbin/makewhatis: No such file or directory
> make: [install] Error 127 (ignored)
> -----------------------
>
> which I ignored. ;)
>
> When I restarted the LDM after the build, it didn't start the
> first time with the following messages:
>
> ----------------------
> iita:~> ldmadmin ps
> Dec 7 17:18:08 UTC iita.rap.ucar.edu : ldmadmin_ps: no LDM server is running
> iita:~> ldmadmin start
> starting the LDM server...
> mv: replace `ldmd.log.4', overriding mode 0640? y
> No processes available.
> No processes available.
> .
> .
> .
> ----------------------
>
> I have seen the "No processes available" messages on and off
> in the past.  Do you happen to know what might have caused them?
> The problem went away after I did a delqueue and mkqueue
> then restarted the LDM.
>
> I will go back to the problem on ofour.  I think it has
> something to do with the gdb library.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Celia

Hi Celia,

I wanted to get back to you on this.  I wasn't ignoring you
but I had hotter fires to put out there for a while!  I
understand that Robb is handling your recent pqsurf
question.

At first I thought your 'makewhatis' problem is the same one
I encounter every time I build the ldm on my linux box.  For
some unknown and possibly bizarre reason Redhat has decided
to make the makewhatis program only executable by root.
That makes no sense to me - it's a script that simply makes
a database used by the 'man' program.

But now I see that apparently your problem is that your
makewhatis isn't in the expected place.  You could look to
see if it's elsewhere.  But, you don't really need it unless
you want to use the 'whatis' command.  If you don't use
that, don't worry about it.

Regarding the "No processes available" message, did you make
a new queue before you started V5.1.2?  Version 5.1.2
requires you to make a new queue first, which you wound up
doing anyway.  I have seen a very similar situation when
someone else installed 5.1.2 and did not first make a new
queue - somehow it caused the ldm to spawn a billion
processes.

Anyway, I assume you're up and running now, is that
correct?  Is your pqsurf problem indeed being handled?

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307