Re: IDD latencies

Chris Herbster wrote:

> Anne,
>
> Hi, hope that all is well.
>
> I had a question that I wanted to ask before I send a request to the
> "support" email ....
>
> I have been having problems with our LDM.  The symptoms appear to be
> largely that products passing through the queue don't get processed.
>
> Unfortunately, I have a VERY full plate right now - Atm. Thermodyanmics and
> Dynamic Meteorology courses being taught for the first time ever on campus
> and a third course, Forecasting Techniques, that is only the second time
> being taught.  I also have a fourth course, Current Wx Discussion, to
> handle.
>
> All this, along with managing ~15 student employees and ~15 computer
> systems (Win/Linux) is keeping me from solving my problems.
>
> Is it within the context of your support objectives to ask for you to come
> into my system to try to help fix this?  I'd really like to just give you
> (Unidata Support) a login to the system and let you poke around.
>
> I have a new system that I was going to build the installation from the
> ground up (LDM, GEMPAK and MCIDAS), but we could also just "fix" the
> installation that I have ....
>
> I think that part of the problem is that I have tried to use a pqact file
> from FSU and the paths might not match as well as I think they do.  I also
> seem to get easily confused over the GEMDATA and LDMDATA trees....
>
> Any help or suggestions are very welcome.  I've been ftp'ing data from FSU
> to keep our system current with Sat. and model data, but this is a hammer
> fix that I'd like to get rid of.
>
> After I get the basics working, then we'd like to start to ingest the NIDS
> data too.
>
> Thanks for your time,
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Chris H.

Hi Chris,

Gee, sounds like you need some more responsibilities.  Is there anything
else you can take on to fill your free time?  :-/

Usually I try to avoid fixing problems directly, preferring to teach
people how to solve their LDM problems.  But, with your constraints, it
may just be more efficient for me to log in. I'm willing to do that and
evaluate whether to try and patch up what's there or do the new
installation.  If the problem is in your pqact.conf file, patching the
current installation is essential, because presumably you'll just
migrate the pqact.conf file over to the new installation, right?

Unfortunately, I'm under the gun right now too.   I would like to work
on your problem intermittently over the course of some days.  Can you
last that long?  If it's a pqact.conf problem, I'll probably try to
debug it line by line, letting it run inbetween.

So, if you can handle a less than speedy response, I'll do what I can.
I propose that you send me your host name, but leave the password on my
voice mail: (303) 497-8677.

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307