[python #MWZ-516353]: DIFAX chart replication

Greetings!

Apologies for the delayed response. I would recommend looking at the updated
version of this notebook that is hosted on Project Pythia:

https://github.com/ProjectPythia/metpy-cookbook/blob/main/notebooks/synoptic/Upperair_Obs.ipynb
  https://projectpythia.org/metpy-cookbook/notebooks/synoptic/Upperair_Obs.html

We have updated this to use functionality that exists within MetPy to directly
at the lat/lon information to a dataframe based on a column of station IDs.
This used station information baked into MetPy. The relevant lines are:

    from metpy.io import add_station_lat_lon
    df = add_station_lat_lon(df)

Hope this helps!

Ryan

> Hello,
>
> I contacted you about a year ago to discuss adding height rises/falls to
> DIFAX replica charts using MetPy, and I have unfortunately discovered another
> problem with the code. However, this is for a completely different issue.
> Because the Aviation Weather Center has recently upgraded their website, the
> following webpage is no longer available:
> https://www.aviationweather.gov/docs/metar/stations.txt
> <https://www.aviationweather.gov/docs/metar/stations.txt>. It is critical to
> the success of running the program, which I have attached below. You can find
> this piece of code in line 147. Are there any alternatives that we can use
> here? Perhaps the new Aviation Weather API might be helpful:
> https://aviationweather.gov/data/api/#/Data/dataStationInfo
> <https://aviationweather.gov/data/api/#/Data/dataStationInfo>.

Ticket ID: MWZ-516353
Department: Support Python
NOTE: All email exchanges with NSF Unidata User Support are recorded in the
Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through the
web.  If you do not want to have your interactions made available in this way,
you must let us know in each email you send to us.